Metal Torrent Tracker Forum

Полная версия: What made you a metalhead?
Вы просматриваете yпpощеннyю веpсию форума. Пеpейти к полной веpсии.
Страниц: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
My mother went satanist when I was a kid, her friends were all black metal dudes who were around my whole childhood... So I started with Venom, Dark Funeral, Samael, Katatonia, Bathory and Varathron... after a while I started enjoying the firsts 4 albuns of Metallica... on my teen years I started enjoyng hard and glam rock such as Skidrow, Winger, Poison, Dokken, Motley and WASP... Nowadays I'm a metal encyclopedia and I just love everything that comes from these revolts metalheads...
Had a friend on the bus (we had a long bus trip to school) I used to sit with. He had one of those music players just before the IPOD that used small tapes that held heaps of music (can't remember what they are called) but it also had TWO HEADPHONE JACKS which blew my mind so I just used to jack into his player and listen to whatever he was listening to. Got introduced to Incubus, Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit (90's was awesome) etc etc. I've listened to just about everything since then.
7 yrs old found my dad's vinyl of judas priest defenders of the faith. mainly listened it, because I thought the cover looked cool. from this point it was over and my soul sold.
My dad's beat up Powerage vinyl
A long journey. I was woken up genre wise while flipping tv channels and came across a screamo song w/ music video on a Christian TV music channel Steel roots I think the name of the channel was called. The song was Bleed the Dream - Legends Die. The symphonics vocally with the other sounds was something I've never heard before and instantly fell in love.

Then another stepping stone later in life or just another experience I heard Trivium being played in a Yahoo Metal chat room and that did it for me. Also another big deal was Killswitch Engage the final hook pulling me in fully.

I guess we all form an appreciation to the metal fork of music in our own way or divine intervention by a second party and I am ever so glad I was made well in knowing of such music.
You might laugh, but listening to Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell on vinyl as a kid. The cover art was sick & the opening track had shredding guitar solos. I know to a lot of people that isn't metal, but I still know it is. 
As a kid I liked anything with what sounded to me like "heavy" guitars, even though now I know they weren't...Like Pat Benatar's Heartbreaker; or I'd like something with a cool guitar riff like Life in the Fast Lane by the Eagles. I would also crank Led Zeppelin, then I got into Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Skid Row then Iron Maiden, then AC/DC, then Metallica and Megadeth and Anthrax. Then Pantera was huge for me- changed my whole perspective. Saw Metallica Live when I was 16. Bought my first guitar. From there it was like Slayer, Testament, Death, Obituary, Sepultura, King Diamond, Paradise Lost, Sodom, Whiplash,  etc. I think Pantera's Great Southern Trendkill pushed me in a more extreme, heavier direction; Carcass, Malevolent Creation and stuff like that then on to Deicide, Mayhem, Nile and heavier stuff. In the early 2000s I got into some of the metalcore stuff like Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Trivium, and things like Tool and Slipknot. Then I rediscovered prog metal and got big into Dream Theater, Queensryche etc. Lately I've been going back to search for stuff from the 80s and 90s that I missed. 
Although I do like death metal, extreme black metal etc, I'd say overall favourite bands are Testament and Pantera. I never get sick of listening to them. 
That's the musical side of it. 
What made me a metalhead was an unpleasant upbringing that filled me with rage, then discovering heavy music made me feel better. Since then I met so many of my fellow headbangers who I just instantly got on well with, we're like a big hairy sweaty family. \m/

PS: R.I.P Jim Steinman.
My father has taste for classic metal bands, like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Scorpions, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater etc. So, I became a metalhead because of the music he showed to me. But, to really shape myself with my own tastes and influences, I went from listening to Rammstein, Def Leppard, Nightwish, Metallica and Judas Priest to listen more extreme bands.

Soon, after listening to Pantera, I acquainted myself with death metal bands like Asphyx, Death, early Haggard, etc. Later, my most drastical change was when I began to listen to black metal, specially symphonic black metal and viking metal. I listened to Dimmu Borgir, Antestor and Falkenbach (I'm no stranger to Christian-themed black metal, I just like black metal without caring about lyrical contents), but for some reason I didn't like the well-known black metal stuff like Gorgoroth, Watain, Judas Iscariot and more. I believe it was because of the cliche satanic themes that bored me and the short duration of the albums (Gorgoroth) (although I listened some satanic bands like Infernum, Thulcandra, Apostasy or Dissection anyways, but because of the brilliant music).

I always preferred pagan and folk themes over the satanic ones (I'm no stranger to NSBM too, but I don't take those bands like Dark Fury too seriously). So, I went full folk/pagan/Celtic/medieval/neofolk/viking black metal fan with bands like Enslaved, Einherjer, Ancient Rites, Kampfar, Finntroll, Evol, Forefather, Nordglanz, Dornenreich, Bathory, Primordial, Falkenbach, Demonaz, Panopticon, Moonsorrow, Thyrfing, Woodtemple, Graveland, Iuvenes, etc. (with some complement with epic black metal bands like Root, Summoning, Moonblood, Caladan Brood, etc.). I never liked pure folk metal bands like Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Dalriada, etc. I also developed some affinity for black/death metal bands like Crionics, Necrophobic, Weeping Birth, God Dethroned, Soulfallen, Grief of Emerald and Shade Empire.

Another one, and my final change happened last year, when I developed some taste for atmospheric black metal, ambient black metal, post-black metal, avant-garde black metal and psychedelic black metal with bands like Lustre, Grima, Make a Change... Kill Yourself, Sun of the Sleepless, Harakiri for the Sky, Fen, Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, Pulsar Colony, Hail Spirit Noir, etc.

So, I'm a very open-minded and unorthodox metalhead as you can see, and I'm very glad of being it instead of being a purist fan Smile3
My dad was sort of a rock dude but he had a couple of harder hitting albums. I got 'No Prayers for the Dying' from a dude who lived in my street as a gift, that was pretty much it. Had a small crew of friends from the same hood that were into different kinds of metal, you take a bit from everyone and build your own style, likes, dislikes, it wasn't as easy to get music back in the 90's even, internet was slow, primitive, you had to hussle Rofl
In Australia, we have a TV program called 'Rage', that shows music videos. I wasn't that much of a music fan as a kid, but I did hear lots of rock music through my dad and older brother who listened to Classic Rock and Nu Metal respectively. One night, while watching Rage on TV, I happened to see the music videos for 'Aces High' by Iron Maiden, then 'Freewheel Burnin' by Judas Priest, and These songs Blew my mind! Not long after, I found a radio website called 'Jango', which lets you put in a band, and then it plays songs by similar artists. I found many more bands in this way: Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio, Megadeth, Helloween, etc. That year, I got my first guitar, started growing out my hair and collecting CDs. Then I used various websites such as Wikipedia, Encyclopaedia Metallum, Spotify, Youtube, Boneyard Metal, Metal Tracker etc, to find more and more bands.
In Australia, we have a TV program called 'Rage', that shows music videos. I wasn't that much of a music fan as a kid, but I did hear lots of rock music through my dad and older brother who listened to Classic Rock and Nu Metal respectively. One night, while watching Rage on TV, I happened to see the music videos for 'Aces High' by Iron Maiden, then 'Freewheel Burnin' by Judas Priest, and These songs Blew my mind! Not long after, I found a radio website called 'Jango', which lets you put in a band, and then it plays songs by similar artists. I found many more bands in this way: Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio, Megadeth, Helloween, etc. That year, I got my first guitar, started growing out my hair and collecting CDs. Then I used various websites such as Wikipedia, Encyclopaedia Metallum, Spotify, Youtube, Boneyard Metal, Metal Tracker etc, to find more and more bands.
Страниц: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19