Рейтинг темы:
  • Голосов: 0 - Средняя оценка: 0
Trying to get into Melo-Death
wfenriz
Unregistered

RE: Trying to get into Melo-Death
I could recommend you to discard everything done in the last years, but that it's my personal apreciation, it's just that I can't stand the overuse of melodic lines, too much happiness, or the mediocre pseudo-thrash riffs.

Anyway, I guess everyone agree on Dark Tranquillity being the kings of the genre, all their albums since they started until "Projector" are pure gold. From that point, the quality has been unstable, "Haven" is plain mediocre, DD is really good, "Character" and "Fiction" are Ok, WATV is pure shit, and "Construct" is just passable.

Check out everything from At The Gates. BTW, "Slaughter of the Soul" , as good as it is, is the main album that killed the genre, and unleashed the myriads of copycats playing mediocre pseudothrash.

In Flames is a mandatory band, from the beginning until "Clayman", anything else they did you can use it to clean the dog feces.

First 3 records of Arch Enemy are good albums, very technical and creative.

I'm sure everyone else has said to you to listen Carcass' masterpiece "Heartwork". Well, I'm too. And don't forget to check out "Necroticism" and "Surgical Steel".

There are plenty of old bands that you could check out: Eucharist, Vinterland, Ceremonial Oath, Edge of Sanity, Fatal Embrace, A Canarous Quintet, Amon Amarth, Centinex, Oxiplegatz, Crystal Age, Night in Gales and a lot more.

A little unknown masterpiece of melodeath is the second album from mexican band Cenopath, "Riding our black oceans", it is worth the listen. Other mexican bands playing reasonable good melodeath are Buried Dreams and The Zephyr.

You can check out "Advent of Bedlam" from Costa Rica, 4 albums are free to download from their website.

More on the technical side, Death is an obliged band in this genre. Also, Cynic and Atheist.

What atracts me to this genre is the song's complexity and the guitar techniques, without having to sacrifice overall melody and purpose (Which often happen in prog metal bands like Theater and derivatives). So, for bands not so deathly but very melodic, technical and accomplished, you have Dissection, Abyssos, the first COB and you could give a listen to Keep of Kalessin's work since "Reclaim", but specially, "Armada".
11-11-2013, 02:06 AM
Ответить
djswitch Не на форуме

Темы: 2
У нас с: Nov 2012
Рейтинг: 100
(11-11-2013, 02:06 AM)wfenriz Писал(а): I could recommend you to discard everything done in the last years, but that it's my personal apreciation, it's just that I can't stand the overuse of melodic lines, too much happiness, or the mediocre pseudo-thrash riffs.

Anyway, I guess everyone agree on Dark Tranquillity being the kings of the genre, all their albums since they started until "Projector" are pure gold. From that point, the quality has been unstable, "Haven" is plain mediocre, DD is really good, "Character" and "Fiction" are Ok, WATV is pure shit, and "Construct" is just passable.

Check out everything from At The Gates. BTW, "Slaughter of the Soul" , as good as it is, is the main album that killed the genre, and unleashed the myriads of copycats playing mediocre pseudothrash.

In Flames is a mandatory band, from the beginning until "Clayman", anything else they did you can use it to clean the dog feces.

I'm sure everyone else has said to you to listen Carcass' masterpiece "Heartwork". Well, I'm too. And don't forget to check out "Necroticism" and "Surgical Steel".

There are plenty of old bands that you could check out: Eucharist, Vinterland, Ceremonial Oath, Edge of Sanity, Fatal Embrace, A Canarous Quintet, Amon Amarth, Centinex, Oxiplegatz, Crystal Age, Night in Gales and a lot more.

A little unknown masterpiece of melodeath is the second album from mexican band Cenopath, "Riding our black oceans", it is worth the listen. Other mexican bands playing reasonable good melodeath are Buried Dreams and The Zephyr.

You can check out "Advent of Bedlam" from Costa Rica, 4 albums are free to download from their website.

More on the technical side, Death is an obliged band in this genre. Also, Cynic and Atheist.

What atracts me to this genre is the song's complexity and the guitar techniques, without having to sacrifice overall melody and purpose (Which often happen in prog metal bands like Theater and derivatives). So, for bands not so deathly but very melodic, technical and accomplished, you have Dissection, Abyssos, the first COB and you could give a listen to Keep of Kalessin's work since "Reclaim", but specially, "Armada".

I thought Advent of Bedlam only has 2 records...or does this include albums from when they went by the name December's Cold Winter?
11-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Найти Ответить
wfenriz
Unregistered

(11-11-2013, 02:14 PM)djswitch Писал(а):
(11-11-2013, 02:06 AM)wfenriz Писал(а): I could recommend you to discard everything done in the last years, but that it's my personal apreciation, it's just that I can't stand the overuse of melodic lines, too much happiness, or the mediocre pseudo-thrash riffs.

I thought Advent of Bedlam only has 2 records...or does this include albums from when they went by the name December's Cold Winter?

Short answer: Yes.
11-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Ответить
fufux Не на форуме

Темы: 0
У нас с: Feb 2013
Рейтинг: 0
(11-07-2013, 03:39 AM)Xiy_The_Gyrudesu Писал(а): Dear reader,

I'm trying to get into the Melo-death genre, and don't really know where to start. i'm listening to some Kalmah, but other than that i'm somewhat lost. Do you have any suggestions as to bands that would serve as a good entrance into Melodic death metal genre?

also, bear in mind i've just started listening to black/death metal, and while i am enjoying it so far i don't think i'm quite ready for the super extreme bands yet.

All thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Xiy

Try Cadacross, Imperanon, Shade Empire, SuperDeathFlame, Tracedawn. Those are all Finnish bands. You should also listen Aeveron, Blinded By Faith, Dark Revenge. All those are easy to listen for a newbie Grin and all above bands what other's mentioned. all good. Too bad u have only a life time for melodic death metal coz there are so fuking much good mdm bands and subgenres for it, melodic black and all that melodic shit category what u can ever think. Have a nice journey!

PS: I too started with Kalmah 13years ago Rofl
(Последний раз сообщение было отредактировано 11-15-2013, 12:32 AM пользователем fufux.)
11-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Найти Ответить
TheDevilsMetal Не на форуме

У нас с: Aug 2012
Рейтинг: 2
Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes is the first thing that comes to my mind. Haven't listened to it in a while but its fantastic! lots of great suggestions here.

Sorry I cant post a link for some reason... Please check this out you wont be disappointed. as far as I'm concerned, this is quintessential melo-death.
11-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Найти Ответить
fufux Не на форуме

У нас с: Feb 2013
(11-15-2013, 07:23 PM)TheDevilsMetal Писал(а): Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes is the first thing that comes to my mind. Haven't listened to it in a while but its fantastic! lots of great suggestions here.

Sorry I cant post a link for some reason... Please check this out you wont be disappointed. as far as I'm concerned, this is quintessential melo-death.

11-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Найти Ответить
telos
Unregistered

if you want a good start to melodic death metal bands then start with this bands. gates of ishtar(all the 3 albums), eucharist, dissection, ablaze my sorrow(if emotions still burn), A Canorous Quintet (Silence of the World Beyond,The Only Pure Hate), in flames (lunar strain,
Subterranean,The Jester Race,whoracle and colony), ceremonial oath (carpet), night in gales ( Towards the Twilight), cardinal sin, amon amarth, fatal embrace ( Shadowsouls' Garden), the absence (from your grave),
Dark Tranquillity (skydancer, the gallery), Unanimated (Ancient God of Evil), insomnium, be'lakor, i don't recommend black dahlia murder in this genre because for me they sounds like a deathcore.

cynic, death,opeth, and atheist isn't melodic death metal
01-02-2014, 10:44 PM
Ответить
nevs Не на форуме

У нас с: May 2013
Icon_wink  RE: Trying to get into Melo-Death
Dude, try Shaded Enmity.
01-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Найти Ответить
schmidtie Не на форуме

У нас с: Oct 2012
I've always found this picture pretty useful (even though I saw it recently after getting in to melo-death) and many of the bands are some of my favourite ones.
Few bands are more refined and 'pure' if you will, than Children of Bodom and Wintersun (their self entitled album, not the epic-symphony-15min songs-super dramatic-melo-death they are doing now, which is also great btw)

Прикрепления
.jpg   IMG_1401.jpg (Размер: 392.11 Кб / Загрузок: 4)
04-30-2014, 12:12 AM
Найти Ответить

Переход:

Пользователи просматривают эту тему: 1 Гость(ей)