Рейтинг темы:
  • Голосов: 7 - Средняя оценка: 2.86
What made you a metalhead?
solinvictus
Unregistered

RE: What made you a metalhead?
(03-17-2014, 01:09 PM)genewen420 Писал(а): So, I was talking with a friend long distance... because I live in a hillbilly infested shitheap with absolutely no metal community, and we started talking about our first metal bands/songs/albums and what and when we became a metalhead, and now I'm curious to hear from the metal brethren from lands far and yonder, what made you a metalhead? Was it a specific band/song/album? Or maybe some event in your life?
When I was a kid, I was raised in a small town in the Seattle/Puget Sound area in the '90s... so I wasn't really exposed to that much metal. The town I lived in only had 1 record store anywhere even remotely close, and it only really stocked classic/modern rock, most of the world still ran on dial-up internet and Lars Ulrich was dick deep in trying to stop Napster, so not much metal for me to get to know. I was mostly into the whole Seattle scene and a little bit of the S. Cal. punk scene... I liked metal, but the only real metal I was familiar with was Metallica, Pantera, and Sepultura. About 6 months before my 17th birthday, the local classic rock station out of Seattle started hosting a metal block show from 10pm to 2am, and since I was a looser and home most saturday nights... lol, I started listening to that, and I started to discover this huge underground world with bands I never new about, but like I said, this was when you really had to work your ass off to get into underground bands. So a few months go by, and I hear Testament for the first time on this radio show, with a new song from their upcoming album, the song was Down for Life, the album was The Gathering... it totally blew my mind! It was heavy and thrashy, and just everything I was looking for in metal. So my birthday was coming up, and I begged my parents to buy it for me, and they did... (By special ordering it from the only record store anywhere around) and I got it on my birthday. I immediately popped it open and cranked it to 11, and the album literally left me speechless. After it was over, I knew there was no going back to grunge and alt rock, that album pushed me over the edge and made me a metalhead! If I had never heard that song... that album, I honestly don't know if I ever would have become a metalhead... or maybe it would have just taken me a lot longer, the only thing I can say for certain is that album changed my life and made me the man I am today.
So again, all my metal friends all over the world, what made you a metalhead?Search

nothing makes us metal heads: we WERE BORN metal heads. it's about how we discover it that makes our stories. I've seen many people trying to approach this kind of music (mainly black metal) and leaving it after few months or a couple of years. I'm almost 32 years old and this music has been a huge part of my life since I was 9 years old: it's in our blood.
03-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Ответить
Sergei Weil
Unregistered

first time I saw the metal band on the news where there is some conflict on my place about the Black Metal issue. I don't really remember the name of the band, just I think I remember something sounds "queen of crust" with their inverted pentagram logo on their album. It when I was 7 years old I reckons. After that, I'm start to listen to the Hard rock or alternative rock, that time I couldn't imagine if there is more "rock" than this. Of course I know about the heavy metal, but it don't sound like what I'm looking for. And when I'm 13, I start to listen about the Cradle of Filth. Fortunately my cousins have their materials and let me listen and watch their videos - Nymphetamine. And starts from that day, my life changes and start to listen to metal till know. My first album did I buy is Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid (cassette version)...
03-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Ответить
Newporg
Unregistered

I dunno what made me a metalhead. I just kinda fell into when i was 18... Loved the guitars/vocals/drums. Took me a while to figure out what genres i liked, and to learn the genres. I didn't have any friends at the time and metal became my best friend. It's helped me in good times and bad.
03-27-2014, 03:50 AM
Ответить
brettdavis261
Unregistered

Riot - Fire Down Under 1981. Bought it through the record club because of the song titles and album covers. 33 years later, still proud to be a metalhead.[/align]
03-27-2014, 03:58 AM
Ответить
bruno7283 Не на форуме

Темы: 2
У нас с: Jan 2014
Рейтинг: 0
I'm bit new in the "metal/rock world"... something like 6 years ago, when was a child i played a lot of guitar hero flash, and loved some songs like "Fear of The Dark", "The Trooper" and "Burn" and accidentally i downloaded 3 CDs: Fear of The Dark, Virtual XI and 30 Very Best of (Deep Purple)... some months after i discovered Primal Fear and that was my true love! kk
03-27-2014, 04:42 AM
Website Найти Ответить
lucifermorningsmurf Не на форуме

Темы: 0
У нас с: Mar 2014
iron maiden, black sabbath... and many other early 80's stuff.
03-27-2014, 05:27 AM
Найти Ответить
Lucyfer Viviana Не на форуме

Рейтинг: 3
A thirst for good music, pain and love for the darkness. I began with King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, old Immortal, Burzum, Ildjarn, Morbid Angel, Fleshcrawl, Obituary and Darkthrone, all those were my first bands.
03-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Найти Ответить
h-n
Unregistered

I'm not too sure, I progressively got into it after hearing guitars pushed in the front of mixes, more than mainstream pop vocals.
It pretty much went from that Punk/Hardcore sound to Metalcore, then eventually, Nu-Metal, Progressive Metal, Mathcore, Deathcore, Djent, etc...

I wouldn't call myself a Metalhead though, I listen to heaps of weird shit you wouldn't expect haha
03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Ответить
akanezuki Не на форуме

It's difficult to define the term 'metalhead' because there are so many sub-genres.. but I like to think I can be put in that category of (awesome) people.

My sister, who is 8 years older than me, introduced me to it all. I remember her making dinner listening to DevilDriver and Lamb of God, along with the not so heavy stuff like old Linkin Park, old Trivium and Slipknot. When I went to high school, she got me into Breaking Benjamin and Bullet For My Valentine. It just kinda snowballed from there. I'm actually quite thankful she was so passionate about it, I remember her being mortified when she learnt I'd never listened to Black Sabbath or Metallica; she gave me "musical education" (as she put it) so even if I didn't like them, I could still respect the artists who helped the music evolve into what we have today.
03-29-2014, 12:04 AM
Найти Ответить
Tyrannus Не на форуме

У нас с: Jun 2014
Рейтинг: 3
I grew up in the early 2000s, so I was familiar with the mainstream nu metal bands, Evanescence, Korn, Likin Park, that were playing everywhere, I was aware of the existence of other genres like Black Metal but I thought it was shocking so I tried to stay away from it, even though I practically grew up around Metal because my big cousin was a fan of Metal and worked in a Metal music Store, when I was about 14 I started playing RPGs with my friends, in the sessions of Vampire the Masquerade they were always playing Metal bands, but I hated it at first, because the sound was too agressive and the satanic themes turned me off at first, but eventually I started hanging out with people who liked Metal and gothic genres of music like Darkwave, so with time I started progressing in my Metal and trying new things, my former boyfriend was a Metaller and played in a Death Metal band, so as I wanted to support him I tried to be more involved with Metal and eventually I was listening to Death metal and Black Metal, and I ended up making friends in the Metal commuity so nowadays I'm completely immersed in the Metal music!
06-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Найти Ответить

Переход:

Пользователи просматривают эту тему: 1 Гость(ей)