Рейтинг темы:
  • Голосов: 0 - Средняя оценка: 0
I feel I am not giving back
theembryo Не на форуме

Темы: 0
У нас с: Sep 2013
Рейтинг: 3
RE: I feel I am not giving back
Rock on then! gtm's seedbox idea is also a damn good one. A dedicated 'server' for torrenting is about the best way to go!

Carry on then with sharing the awesome sounds here.
03-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Найти Ответить
gtm
Unregistered

(03-17-2014, 10:39 PM)Sean19231 Писал(а): well, my plan to give back is working. I'm at 9.2gb now upload. id i'm not mistaken that'snlike 7gb in lne day

Good to hear!

I didn't mean anything bad by my post just so you know. Sometimes things are a little slow on the upload front, but I see its all working out for you. In reality these torrent networks only survive by people "giving back," its more of a give what you take kind of thing.

I went with the seedbox because where I live now I have a pretty poor connection, 60gb a month max (its my landlords, and its free), my download is okay but my upload is absolutely terrible, and at times their router goes on the fritz. Its what ruined my waffles ratio until I had enough.. personally loving the box. Its great.
03-18-2014, 12:11 AM
Ответить
oropareces
Unregistered

(03-18-2014, 12:11 AM)gtm Писал(а):
(03-17-2014, 10:39 PM)Sean19231 Писал(а): well, my plan to give back is working. I'm at 9.2gb now upload. id i'm not mistaken that'snlike 7gb in lne day

Good to hear!

I didn't mean anything bad by my post just so you know. Sometimes things are a little slow on the upload front, but I see its all working out for you. In reality these torrent networks only survive by people "giving back," its more of a give what you take kind of thing.

I went with the seedbox because where I live now I have a pretty poor connection, 60gb a month max (its my landlords, and its free), my download is okay but my upload is absolutely terrible, and at times their router goes on the fritz. Its what ruined my waffles ratio until I had enough.. personally loving the box. Its great.

Hey, if it's not too much to ask: which company is hosting your seedbox?

Cheers!

(03-17-2014, 01:18 AM)Sean19231 Писал(а): I can completely understand that. I just wish I understood that a little more before I joined and downloaded like crazy. Now i'm in a position of 30gb more downloaded than uploaded. Like i was saying above, I am trying to make up for it by downloading the most popular things of the day, and week, and hopefully I can recover.

I just know I am not for being a mooch. I do want to give back. Just because I actively find music; I don't need to slow down, but I need to get my shit straight and stop being a leecher. hehe..

The point is not about downloading the most popular stuff. It's about keeping on sharing as long as possible. It's not a big sacrifice.
03-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Ответить
Sean19231 Не на форуме

Темы: 3
У нас с: Feb 2014
Рейтинг: 5
(03-18-2014, 12:24 AM)oropareces Писал(а): The point is not about downloading the most popular stuff. It's about keeping on sharing as long as possible. It's not a big sacrifice.

Yeah, I understand that now. I've never joined a community like this before and I took a lot before I just now realized what I was doing. The most popular torrents are just to match my download with my upload. Then, you brought up a good point, start seeding torrents with 1 people and make it 2.
03-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Найти Ответить
gtm
Unregistered

(03-18-2014, 12:24 AM)oropareces Писал(а): Hey, if it's not too much to ask: which company is hosting your seedbox?

Cheers!

The point is not about downloading the most popular stuff. It's about keeping on sharing as long as possible. It's not a big sacrifice.

I'm using whatbox. There are cheaper options out there that I've seen but I'm not overly concerned.. the cost is more than worth it for me personally. I'm on the cheapest plan, gives 350gb of space, 2TB a month upload traffic and has 150MBit connection iirc. I've seen downloads as fast as 50mb/s on well seeded torrents.. of course I can't transfer from the server to my computer that quickly, but its still nice. haha.

Downloading popular stuff is a good way to maintain a ratio, or get it up there faster, at least you hope anyway. As you said though, once you download just leave the torrent up, I don't see any reason to ever remove them unless you've already seeded to an insane ratio, and I think I'm going to remove some of the ones I have just for that reason to give others a chance.

I think a trick is just not to download THAT much at one time. I'm still sifting and listening through the 24ish albums I downloaded myself. I'll move on and grab more then as I need to. One of the things I love about sites like these is the discovery factor, came across so many awesome bands/projects I never knew about and likely never would have.
03-18-2014, 06:28 AM
Ответить
oropareces
Unregistered

(03-18-2014, 06:28 AM)gtm Писал(а):
(03-18-2014, 12:24 AM)oropareces Писал(а): Hey, if it's not too much to ask: which company is hosting your seedbox?

Cheers!

I'm using whatbox. There are cheaper options out there that I've seen but I'm not overly concerned.. the cost is more than worth it for me personally. I'm on the cheapest plan, gives 350gb of space, 2TB a month upload traffic and has 150MBit connection iirc. I've seen downloads as fast as 50mb/s on well seeded torrents.. of course I can't transfer from the server to my computer that quickly, but its still nice. haha.
Interesting! Anyhow, I already own a NAS and electricity is very cheap here in Norway...

(03-18-2014, 06:28 AM)gtm Писал(а): Downloading popular stuff is a good way to maintain a ratio, or get it up there faster, at least you hope anyway. As you said though, once you download just leave the torrent up, I don't see any reason to ever remove them unless you've already seeded to an insane ratio, and I think I'm going to remove some of the ones I have just for that reason to give others a chance.

I think a trick is just not to download THAT much at one time. I'm still sifting and listening through the 24ish albums I downloaded myself. I'll move on and grab more then as I need to. One of the things I love about sites like these is the discovery factor, came across so many awesome bands/projects I never knew about and likely never would have.

Personally I don't like to download loads of music at the same time. What for? Collecting GBs of data which you barely listen to once or twice? I still keep track of all music I listen to using last.fm, and follow their recommendations for new music to listen. Their recommendations are incredibly accurate, they have introduced me very good bands.
03-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Ответить
gtm
Unregistered

(03-18-2014, 01:24 PM)oropareces Писал(а): Interesting! Anyhow, I already own a NAS and electricity is very cheap here in Norway...

Personally I don't like to download loads of music at the same time. What for? Collecting GBs of data which you barely listen to once or twice? I still keep track of all music I listen to using last.fm, and follow their recommendations for new music to listen. Their recommendations are incredibly accurate, they have introduced me very good bands.

The server my box is on is in the netherlands iirc heh. Either way, my home download maxes at about 1.5mb/s and upload, I have no idea, maybe 200kb/s? So For me anyway, a box is practically a must if I want to be serious about torrenting to some degree. There are faster internet services here, but nothing like a dedicated server's line.

I agree with you. I have well over 150gb of music collected over the years, and while I realize this is nothing compared to what some people have, I can say I've listened to it all, several times. I download a bunch of albums and then spend time listening to them - I feel you need to listen to an album more than once or twice to get a good feel for it. There are a lot of bands that have grown on me over time due to this. The first time I listened to periphery and heard Spencer's wail I was like "uhhh I dont know about this," but now I absolutely love and adore that band. Last.fm is quite excellent.. I've found a lot of bands they've recommended here that I couldn't find elsewhere as well Smile3

So I download a bunch, spend a week listening, get a little bored, and do the whole thing again.
03-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Ответить
Sean19231 Не на форуме

Темы: 3
У нас с: Feb 2014
Рейтинг: 5
(03-18-2014, 08:44 PM)gtm Писал(а):
(03-18-2014, 01:24 PM)oropareces Писал(а): Interesting! Anyhow, I already own a NAS and electricity is very cheap here in Norway...

The server my box is on is in the netherlands iirc heh. Either way, my home download maxes at about 1.5mb/s and upload, I have no idea, maybe 200kb/s? So For me anyway, a box is practically a must if I want to be serious about torrenting to some degree. There are faster internet services here, but nothing like a dedicated server's line.

I agree with you. I have well over 150gb of music collected over the years, and while I realize this is nothing compared to what some people have, I can say I've listened to it all, several times. I download a bunch of albums and then spend time listening to them - I feel you need to listen to an album more than once or twice to get a good feel for it. There are a lot of bands that have grown on me over time due to this. The first time I listened to periphery and heard Spencer's wail I was like "uhhh I dont know about this," but now I absolutely love and adore that band. Last.fm is quite excellent.. I've found a lot of bands they've recommended here that I couldn't find elsewhere as well Smile3

So I download a bunch, spend a week listening, get a little bored, and do the whole thing again.

For me, I like to jump right into a band with all their music. I feel the more I hear from them, the better judgement I can make. That's why my download got so big.

Just as an update: I'm having great success seeding the popular torrents and it's recovering me to an acceptable rate. I'm still thinking about what everyone said, and when I get back to 1:1 I will do it correctly.
03-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Найти Ответить

Переход:

Пользователи просматривают эту тему: 2 Гость(ей)